Day 2 – Saint Mere Eglise to St Martin des Besaces

For anyone who knows me they will not be surprised to learn that I struck up with a conversation with a couple in our campsite; fellow cycle tourers, Libby and Jose. Following some bicycle geek chat I ascertained they were heading in the same direction, so they kindly invited me to join them. It was lovely to be cycling with others; I am quite content solo cycling but I do really appreciate company on the bike, chatting, spotting items of interest (wildlife, wildflowers, nice gardens, wild cherries) and to share them with others. Libby and Jose were fine company, and we enjoyed a cycle southward along the Cherbourg Contenin Peninsular, towards St Lo.
The topography was flatter and we headed across the salt marshes, famed for their cattle grazing and the resulting product, Crème Fraiche. We enjoyed a crepe stop (Nutella & banana) before heading across the river towards the mainland part of Normandy south of the peninsular.
My fellow cyclists were on gravel bikes with wide tyres, almost twice the width of those on my trusty Trek 1000; nonetheless it served me well as we followed tow paths beside rivers and canals. Bike talk alert: route planning can be a rather tricky enterprise of cycle touring; previously one relied on proper maps, and a trip to Stamford’s in London was normally required to find the particular OS map sought. I rather like proper maps, but when cycling a trans country route, this would require tens of maps, and with space at a premium, this is not ideal. Fortunately the internet has revolutsionaised bike route planning, including some great tools; I am fan of Komoot and used them for Lands End to John O Groats last year. Today Jose rocked my world by alerting me to the fact that you can choose a cycle touring option on Komoot; rather than just road cycling hereby affording routes far more inclined to those cyclists who enjoy a spot of nature watch along the way!
Following Jose’s route I discovered many beautiful villages; so off the beaten track! The only down side is that following a mostly rural route limits food stop opportunities. So we were rather delighted to discover a genius combination shop in a tiny village of population less than 100; combining bar and shop! Sandwiches and Orangina consumed we continued to a delightful campsite, https://www.sous-les-etoiles.camp/. It is a perfect site for cycle tourists, they even have a specific area with roof for cooking should the weather prove inclement. Fortunately, not required this evening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge