Day 5 Courville Sur Eure to Montargis

The temperature is certainly rising; however, the campsite does not unlock the gates permitting departure until 9am; so, I am ready at the gates for 9am and set out along the roads heading South of Chartres.
The topography is much flatter; it is rather like East Anglia with the horizon extending for miles, so you can see the distinctive Cathedral twin spires in the distance; the area becomes more industrial so I am rather glad for the provision of a cycle path to protect me from the juggernauts lumbering by.
Similarly, to East Anglia the farming style is for vast fields, I am missing the bocages (hedges) and copses of Normandy; particularly as the mercury soars. Provision of provisions is limited as my route weaves it’s way across this highly farmed and under inhabited territory; I do not pass a village with anything more than 10 houses for 40Km. I am so utterly relieved to discover a village, Theuville, with an open cafĂ©, my water is running out and I am broken by the relentless sunshine without shade. The proprietor is incredibly sweet, recognizing my tremor at once and carrying my coffee to the table. He tells me there is a person in the village diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s’ disease aged 29. He enthusiastically tells me of the advances in brain surgery and that I should look up the Michael J Fox Foundation, who have done so much for research. It is so wonderful to receive this enthusiastic boost from a proprietor of a little restaurant of a small village in Fargo country! Settling my bill, the proprietor packs me off with some of his homemade Carrots salad, full of antioxidants, Dr Laurie Mischley would be proud! Laurie hugely changed my life in August 2018 when I attended her Parkinson’ Summer School at Bastyr University in Seattle; a truly positive and proactive approach to managing this condition that I am sure has helped abate the speed of disease progression. https://educationismedicine.com/ I think of all this as I enjoy my carrot salad in the smallest and only spot of shade, I can find in Fresnay l’-Eveque where I picnic.
The temperature is 35C in the shade, I am struggling to steer straight and finally decide to be sensible and call the support crew; randomly my mum must have a sixth sense as she phones me just as I am about to call her. I am so grateful to my mum for her support on this trip; she is a truly remarkable woman and I am very fortunate. We find a local swimming lake north of Montargis to cool off until we can check into our apartment; with the heatwave now arrived camping would be ambitious. Fortunately, we discover Virginie’s apartments which are perfectly equipped, complete with air conditioning! Hurrah! https://www.lamaisonvirginie.com/fr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge