Day 3 From St Martin des Besaces to Touquettes

An early start for the mini team of cycle tourers, Libby, Jose and I; starting with a delightful descent and then some climbs into the area known as Switzerland of Normandy; perfect training for my forthcoming alpine experiences. There was even a little singing from us all, an eclectic mix from “I’m the king of the jungle”, to Simon & Garfunkel, via Metallica! Here the hills were rounded rather than jagged mountains; but the livestock with still very alpine with beautiful cattle, apologies for not knowing the varieties! We also avoided any run ins with farmers dogs for which I was very glad. The route took us down to a lovely river valley, from where we enjoyed a delightful paved cycleway alongside the river, divine!
Shortly after this I bid farewell to my touring friends, and headed towards my evenings destination; firstly, finding the French Symond’s Yat! The temptation to jump in for a swim was great, but today the distance was epic so I needed to crack on… up a 20% long climb out of the delightful valley!
I cycled through a beautiful fortified town, Falaise, impressive battlements of which I thought my godchildren and their siblings ,would be impressed, budding historians that they are!
Cherries lining the road alerted me to a cherry tree, which reminded me of the KT tunstall song we sing in choir… so I popped my trusty steed in beside the tree for a cheeky photo, before indulging in plenty of scrumped cherries, and a rendition of the song as I cycled along!
Cycling Southwards from the D-Day beaches I was struck by how long the liberation of France took; soldiers were fighting from one hedgerow to the next, slowly advancing day by day. I came upon a war memorial at a key strategic site, the Trun-Chambois Gap, a battle that occurred on 20th August 1944; a combined effort of Polish, American and Canadian soldiers. My grandfather was Canadian and served during the war, so I felt a connection to this site.
Again it took my mind to Ukraine where such similar battles are occurring daily; incurring injuries on both sides, affecting military and civilians alike. It saddens me so much that we have not learnt from prior experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge