Day 7 Montargis to Chablis

Given the temperature was due to hit 41C today, and that the French Government had banned outdoor events, I rose at dawn to start cycling before sunrise, with the intent to finish by 1pm or 35C whichever arose sooner! I was optimistic my early starting temperature of 17C would be sufficient!
The route followed the canal; how glad was I for water seems to hold the temperature a little cooler, as do trees; never have I been so aware of verdant trees, or more the absence there of! For the most part the waterway was a kind route, particularly with a constant supply of wildlife to distract me; Herons, butterflies, swallows, woodpeckers. After 30Km I was forced to bid farewell to the canal and start the journey over a variety of hills towards Burgundy; home to delicious wines, an incentive to keep pedaling!
I descended to the charming village of Charny replete with bunting across the river; a red squirrel hopped along! Beatrix Potter would be delighted! I was very happy to find a patisserie and discovered a local savoury treat, cheese Gougere, a choux bun made with Comte! Yummy! My veganism is falling by the wayside a little!
A steep climb followed and the treeful country gave way to rolling crop fields; at least it was not flat! I am rather unusual in hugely preferring any form of incline over the flat! The heat was certainly climbing however and I was starting to miss the shade! A lone tree in the distance kept me going, the shade only fleeting! In the shade it was now 35C and I had cycled over 75Km, I had drawn by go-no go points and having reached cooking temperature I called the calvalry to take me to Chablis!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge