Day 4 - Toquettes to Courville Sur Eure

Today marks leaving Normandy as I head Southeast across France; after a few rolling hills to warm up my legs I reached l'Aigle, alive and bustling on market day. And what a market! Rows of stalls selling delicious looking produce, not just fresh fruit and vegetables, but live produce!!! Chickens, geese, quail and rabbits! I am uncertain whether the latter are destined for life as domestic pets, or the domestic pot! I can just imagine Keith Floyd having a field day in this place, complete with his ever-suffering producer Clive!
In l’Aigle I discover a great bike shop; I am suffering a common complaint of the cycle tourist, numbness and pain in my hands, unsurprising when they are under pressure for over seven hours a day! My gloves are insufficiently padded for the task, fortunately the shop stock Castelli mitts and my hands are given a reprieve! The route continues its way across undulating terrain, little copses of trees proffering shade from the ever-warmer sun! A heat wave is forecast! Between the copses are fields of crops, prettily bordered with wildflowers, red poppies and blue cornflowers; I cannot determine whether they are there by natural providence or EU funded endeavour, either way I am delighted! Bugs delight in their presence as do I!
The terrain here feels familiar, there are lots of flint buildings, and even a sign for Beaulieu! Alas I think it may not be replete with motor museum!
The temperature rises and I am glad to arrive at today’s destination, Courville Sur Eure; team support, aka Mummy, has kindly established camp and we enjoy some tea in the shade! Ready for tomorrow’s challenge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge