Day 11 - Grindleton to Kirkby in Lonsdale , from Lancashire to Yorkshire

The Forest of Bowland is beautiful; if you are passing by that way do stop a while. There are far fewer poeple about that in the Lakes and has wonderful walking & cycling territory.

I started off with a gentle climb from pastureland beside the Ribble, and headed up to Moorland, where hardier lambs were gambling about. It was beautiful and along lovely coutnry lanes, thank you Komoot for the route!


Just for the record, I am not a twitcher but I have recently become a bit more interested in birds, maybe is is because I am over 40!

As I was cycling along I heard a funny electronic bird sound. I had heard similarly whilst cycling in the Test valley in Hampshire, and googled it because I was convinced it was an electronic crow deterrent; in fact it is the song of the Lapwing, I promise you it sounds like it is from a synthesizer! It also flies in a very erratic fashion and sports a spectacular head feather!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/lapwing/

The lapwing continued along with me a while, as I meandered along lanes flanked by tall stone walls, I was entering Postman Pat country and so in my head along with the Lapwing, was the tune of Postman Pat!

I climbed up to a highspot of 420m commanding a wonderful Panorama; not knowing this area at all I was fortunate to bump into a local rambler who pointed out the key fells, including the Yorkshire three Peaks to the North, and the Lancasher Pendle behind me, and my destination for the night Kirby Lonsdale in the valley beside the river Lune.

We were camping this evening at Kirby's Rugby club campsite; enterprisingly they had created COVID secure camping with each pitch having it's own portaloo, and alllocated shower times!

Before dinner we took a stroll beside the Lune, into town, stopping beside Ruskin's view; a vantage over the river and hills, which he described as 'one of the lovesliest views in England, therefore in the world'. It indeed is rather lovely and the water looks very inviting for a swim!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge