Day 12 - Kirby in Lonsdale to Appleby in Westmorland

 It appears I have created a route taking in as many National Parks as possible!! So today I enjoyed a fabulous and very hilly cycle through the Yorkshire Dales and Westmorland Dales.

We started the day in civilsed fashion enjoying an espresso at a cafe in Kirby; the one aspect of European cycling I miss in the ease of obtaining a strong coffee in the smallest of hamlets! 


And so I started cycling up Northwards, running parallel to the M6 but fortuately sufficeintly far away as not to hear it; instead I heard Curlews, and also the first cuckoo of the year, appropriate for 1st May!

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/curlew/

By Beck Foot I happened upon the most impressive rail viaduct straddling a terribly deep valley, which I had just ventured down with brakes full on, and then enjoyed cycling back up!

Today's second highest summit was at the top of this c. 330m and commanding views across the Dales and also towards the Lake District peaks;

PLaces to refuel were rather few and far between today and so I was delighted to happen upon the Cross Keys pub in Tebay, which was perfectly situated for a cup of tea and a rest!

Onwards towards Appleby and of course with more ascent; I could not resist stopping at a chocolate shop in a tiny village en route, stocked up I continued the ascent to 350m from where more views were to be enjoyed, and also a weather watching opportunity as rain showers lashed down on various areas in the distance, I was hoping my route would be rain free!

Finally I arrived at Appleby, which was beautiful, complete with a castle and a stunning street with obelisks at each end sporting sundials, which I thought was rather optimsitic for somewhere not renowned for sunshine! Taking a stroll through the town I also came upon a cricket match in action, which was lovely to see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge