Day 15 - Tushielaw Inn to Milton Bridge, Edinburgh

Having dried out from my watery cycling baptism yesterday I was feeling brave to tackle the hill climbs en route to Edinburgh.


All started well, there was even fleetiing sunshine to warm my back as I climbed up my first range of hills for the day; a rare occasion found my support crew, AKA My mum, was taking the same route and so a rare occasion was that I had a photographer, fleetingly!


It was just as I approached the summit of the first range, that I turned a corner and was hit by such a powerful gust of wind that I almost fell off my bike! The valley floor was north-south aligned, and so I now faced a steady northerly headwind, so strong I had to pedal hard in an easy gear to make progress down a steep hill! 

Rain joined the wind and so the fun began! Having learnt from yesterday I was better prepared - with waterproof socks inside my merrell waterproof leather knee high boots, topped with waterproof overshoes and waterproof trousers, oh and ski warming packs inside my boots!

Ever trying to be optimistic I looked to nature to maintain my morale; and i noticed that even the birds were staying put in their nests today! And the sheep and lambs were seeking any shelter they could, and those that could not were standing completelystill with their backs to the wind! I was dying for an energy boost and fortunately found a brief respite from the super winds behind a thicket of pine trees, gulped down some flapjack,dates and tea, and resumed my cycle!

I then enjoyed the second climb, into the headwind and then dropped down toward Traquair House; where I was delighed to find a tea room, and fortunately in Scotland eating inside public eateries is allowed! Woohoo!

I took the opportunity to derobe from my sodden waterproof jacket and sodden tops underneath, and changed into dry merino,down jacket, wooly hat and spare waterproof jacket, and tried to thaw out over my lunch.  Vegan diet was fully catered for here, with delicious mushroom soup, super strong espresso in a china cup and rich chocolate cake!

This is the one occasion when I almost wished a venue was less COVID compliant; they were so good with their ventilation in the tea room that I was freezing, but at least dry!

After lunch I braved stage two, heading towards Peebles. my waterproof sealskin gloves were as sodden as could be, so I changed to my normally resilient sheepskin mittens, which have served me well for a decade cycle commuting to work in all weathers.

It was a beautiful valley, lush, verdant, following the river, but by this point the road also becoming a river as it was increasingly flooded.

Continue on, and my hands started to freeze despite the heatpacks in my mittens.  I am not a fair weather cyclist; I have cycle commuted for years in all weathers, however four hours in almost freezing rain was pushing my limits. 

 Anyone who knows me will attest, I absolutely love snow, whether walking or skiing in it, but even I know that cycling in snow is a combination to be avoided. When the snow arrived I decided to stop cycling and accept support from my mum!


A bit disappointed to have had to stop due to the weather, I felt more sure of my decision as we drove to Milton Bridge as the snow settled and the actual temperature dropped further.

Here's hoping the northwind that doth blow will soon realise that we are well past Winter!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge