Day 20 - Tomintoul to Culloden Moor

Tomintoul is very much in the Cairngorm National Park and so the ride was still very hilly as I wended my way Northwards towards the Moray Firth. And a delightfully sunny day to enjoy such a ride.

I thought of my partner, Michael, as I passed the sign introducing the Malt Whisky trail route, and cycled past the distilleries of Glenlivet and Cardhu. The Glenlivet estate looked particularly pretty and had an art installation above the road, comprising a mirrored cube, reminding me of a friend's garden design at Hampton Court Flower show a few years ago.

http://www.alexrainford.com/show-gardens

Onwards the cycle up my super steep climb for the day, and up to the most stupendous view of the Cairngorm, where I sat and enjoyed my lunch!

The route then took down towards Grantown on Spey, across much more arid and open terrain, with a few rogue escapee sheep to keep you on your toes!

It was then a pine forest lined route for a while, before crossing moorland with occasional ponds reflecting the sky patterns, quite beautiful, and then a route across Dulsie Bridge, a stone bridge crossing a narrow steep gorge, really quite impressive engineering.

I then caught my first glimpse of the Moray Firth and the sea, and stretching beyond the coastland heading North East! My destination!!

Having sat at home in the South looking at the weather map Inverness appears so far  north, and I have cycled there! Wow! And the end is now in sight! 

The forecast is poor for tomorrow, wet and windy, but at least today gave me a glimpse of my detination and onwards I shall cycle. May the Tunnocks be with me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge