Day 13 - From England to Scotland - Appleby to Langholm

And so the crossing of my final country border of the trip; before reaching this site at Penton Bridge however was 55 miles of traversing the Southern edge of the Northern Pennines, weaving along the Eden valley which was welcoming undulating rather than super steep.


The weather was a little less clement and so waterproofs o clock it was; I am so glad I brought my winter cycling  kit, complete with thermal tights, merino, full waterproofs, sealskin gloves and waterproof leather boots!



It was a very rural cycle with no provisions opportunities en route, and so I was delighted when I arrived at Castle Carrock and discovered a pub serving food, complete with large marquee. I befriended a couple of other cyclists who regaled me with tales of various cycle tours, Eurovelo 6 from England to the Black Sea! Wow!! I felt rather inadequate doing LEJOG!

The other wonderful thing about cAstle Carrock was their village sign; thus far I had seen - X village welcomes you; drive carefull through X; Keep X beautiful take your litter home; not castle Carrock.... Castle Carrock's sign reads, "Castle Carrock Please dance" ! 

Onwards heading North, towards Brampton and Longtown I finally reached the Scottish border at Penton Bridge; Hurrah!!!

My desination for today was Langholm which I rode to via the hilliest route imaginable, and was terribly glad to meet my mum there!

We loaded the van for the night and headed to Longtown to a fabulous AirBnB complete with logfire! Perfect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge