Day 17 - From Rumbling Bridge to Blairgowrie

Having enjoyed a relaxing walk above the gorge at Rumbling Bridge after the days cycling, I returned home to find I had received a text message from one of the other participants from my Public Health course that I had enjoyed earlier in the week.


John had messaged to ask whether I may welcome a local cycling with me from Rumbling Bridge; the rare opportunity to meet with a fellow course participant was very attractive as all is being conducted online remotely for COVID security. I was delighted to accept his offer.

To take advantage of a narrow weather window I started early setting off up a long slow ascent above Rumbling Bridge; it was stunningly beautiful following a narrow valley, before it opened up to a higher pasture that reminded me of the Col du Joux Plan in France, cycling amongst pasture with cattle, pines and little wooden barns dotted about.

I then enjoyed a speedy descent to Dunning, where John was waiting for me beside the church. He kindly brought along Scottish provisions, Tunnocks wafers and Tablet, and off we set through Perthshire, a wonderfully lush and verdant landscape with plenty of arable farmland, and a few short sharp uphills, notably to Findo Gask.

John mentioned that a friend en route had invited us to stop by for a cup of tea en route; and so it was quite a wonderful surprise that the friend was another participant from the Public Health course; I am not sure what the collective noun is for a group of Public Health Consultants is, suggestions welcome!

It was great to meet up in person, following COVID guidelines, and enjoy some disucssion, comparing differences and similarities of public health working across the borders. 

John and I also discussed the importance of patient engagement in public health; I feel so fortunate that the Parkinson's community is such a proactive community, I shared the experience of World Parkinsons Congress that Michael and I attended in 2019; a wonderful international conference comprising equal balance of patients and their support teams, clinicians and scientists.

As a physician I had not been aware of such a high level of patient engagement in any other disease or specialty, and I have to say that I think this is a balance that needs redressing. For so many illnesses it is the patient who is the expert in the management of their health, a concept beautifully demonstrated in Sara Riggare's work, a person with Parkinson's whom I was fortunate enough to meet shortly after my diagnosis... read below for more about her work:

https://www.riggare.se/1-vs-8765/

John and I then resumed cycling towards Luncarty enjoying a celebratory Tunnocks!

As John departed the rain arrived.  I pushed on through torrential rain to arrive rather bedgraggled to our wonderful B&B for the night; Glenshiel House in Blairgowrie, which was wonderful! The hosts so welcoming and the home so comfortable! 

All in all a fabulous day! And many thanks to John for reaching out and offering to cycle with me, and to Jennifer for such a great tea stop en route! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge