Day 4 - Great Torrington to Countisbury Hill


I was very excited to be heading to even more familiar territory today; cycling to Exmoor; since I was a baby I have been coming to Exmoor regularly and I love it!

Again, also being hill obsessed there was a particularl nemesis I was keen to cycle up, Countisbury Hill; a hill so steep that I was once the passenger in a friends car whislt they drove, and they requested I alight the vehicle as they were struggling to drive up the hill with me  in it!! It was an old morris minor, but still, the feeling sticks!

Prior to reaching Countisbury, there was a farther stretch of the Tarka trail to enjoy, cycling down a valley on a disused railway, fabulous wild flowers abounding, a few people out walking, jogging or cycling along the way. You then reach the estuary and follow it out to sea near Bideford and Instow, where I delighted in discovery a coffee shop, and was terribly healthy and abstained from cake!


From Barntstape I headed inland along a lovely quiet valley to Loxhore, where lambs gadded about, violets, primroses, wood anenomes and early bluebells blossomed, and I saw my first orchid of 2021!

 I also experienced my first hill so steep that my front wheel lifted off the ground! A taster of what was to come!

I also cycled past the Calvert Trust, who serve to challenge disabiily through outdoor adventure! An adage I can definitely subscribe too!!

Onwards across Exmoor towards Lynmouth, as I descended down to the sea I really should have paid heed to the fact that it was so steep I had to dismount my bike and walk down beside it with the brakes fully on!

And then the ascent of Countisbury hill, well, it was wonderful, hellishly hard work but wonderful!! I have walked up it many times and be in awe of those (few) I have seen cycle it! Two motorcyclists passed me by and gave my thumbs up to encourage my ascent!


I have to say I really love positive encouragement from passers by as I cycle; particularly whilst cycling alone! Thank you to those who cheer me on!

We have enjoyed staying in the COVID secure annex of our friends who live down here and their hospitality and welcome has been wonderful! Thank you!

   

Comments

  1. Nice to see you posting - and working out where you are on the map. Photos?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pedalling Poole to Provence for Parkinson's

Day 1- Poole to Saint Mere Eglise

Day 8 - Hereford to Ironbridge